Monday, May 11, 2009
Really??? Out of school & work for this?
So this is the infamous hand, foot & mouth disease that I have heard horror stories about......except the extent of Cade's case is a blister to his foot. I was called at work to pick Cade up because he may have gotten this virus from some of the other kids in his class since it is extremely contagious and Cade had this new visitor on his toe. Well, I get there and take Cade home patiently waiting on the doctor's office to call so that they can officially diagnose the blister on his foot and clear him to go back to school...finally they give us an appointment. We get in and Cade's doctor looks at his foot and says..."is that it? Are you sure it's not an ant bite?" She did find another sore in the roof of his mouth but she said that it was the most minor case of this virus that she has seen. No fever, not contagious. I called Cade's daycare to let them know and the director said that he needed to stay out one more day to make sure....???? I know that they are looking out for everyone but I trust his doctor's opinion and note that she wrote specifically stating "not contagious".....and another day of work missed for a "sickness"? Of course, if I made stink of it and insisted that Cade come to school, he would be the one to get the worst case ever in a week or so. I love my buddy and would want nothing more than to hang out with him for the day but if he isn't sick, he needs to be at daycare and I need to be at work. I know that I am jinxing myself and tomorrow morning I will wake up and Cade will be covered in these minor "blisters".....but for now....really?

Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Ok, so I just have to comment on this. I can tell you that what you have just experienced is the NUMBER ONE MAIN problem that a daycare director faces. I have had this conversation myself with just about every parent at the daycare. And yes, most doctors do say a child can come back to daycare when others feel they shouldn't. But you being off work and at home for no reason is why we face these difficult decesions. I had a doctor write a note that a child had been diagnosed with MRSA (if you don't know what that is, google it, it will scare the crap out of you) draining from her ear, but she was fine for group care. I had to go against the doctor because MRSA is highly contagious and group care was not appropriate. Anyway, blah blah blah! But yeah, I just had to comment b/c I can promise you (hopefully) your director does understand your side! And here's a little side note, I bet when you do take him back, if the blister is still there, they call you to come back and get him. So be prepared!!
On a side-note, your mom wrote me the sweetest email about you being in the hospital with your open heart surgeries and it made me feel so good to read her words. It made me realize that babies do go through even more than what Bailey is going through and turn out totally fine, JUST LIKE YOU!!!
Post a Comment