Thursday, August 13, 2009

World's Earliest Teacher Intervention

Well I have a parent/teacher conference this afternoon with the daycare director at Cade's school. Yes, my son is only 14 months old and in trouble enough for me to have to go to a meeting about it. Is that a bad sign about what the future holds??? We are being summoned to discuss Cade's biting habits. He has bit the same kid 3x's now and broken the skin. I do feel bad and I would get upset if Cade came home with bite marks but I'm not sure how you explain to a 14 month old that what he is doing is wrong....especially if I am not there when he does it. I don't think sitting him down a few hours after the fact will do anything considering that his vocabulary is limited to ball & duck.....I don't think he will know what I am talking about. He does not bite at home. Granted he did bite Justin's toe about a month ago but I think the lesson was learned all in itself on that one.....gross! He did get put in time out for a minute but of course forgot everything that had happened. I will post an update after the conference to let you guys know how it went. Wish me luck!!

1 comment:

The 'Ssippi Scoop said...

Robyn you have GOT to change the writing color. It takes me 10 minutes to read that white writing on that light blue background.

Please do update about the director says to you. I mean really, that is the #1 problem in a daycare center, but like you said, what can you do. It's not like you are telling him on the way to school to be sure and bite. I tried to fight this battle when I first started that job and did suspend a child for it, BUT she was older than Cade and she bit consistently all day long for about a month before I did. And once I made it be a parent problem and not just a daycare problem, the mom started taking it more seriously. After that situation, I tried not to suspend anymore for the very reasons you mentioned.

This is the #1 problem not because of kids like Cade and you as parents but because of the kids who get bit. Like you said, you'd be mad if he was getting bit. All the other parents feel the same way. What they don't understand is IT IS PERFECT NORMAL for a 14 month old to experience some biting episodes. Did I say that loud enough? NEVER say you are sorry for your child biting b/c it's not something you can control or prevent and it's NORMAL at that age. But the parent's of the child being bit don't see it that way. Surely she is just meeting with you to say she has tried to handle the situation to some degree.

Maybe she won't be too hard on you and Justin or that precious little boy. Let us know and I'll def. be thinking about ya'll. And, Robyn, quit telling that boy to bite for goodness sake!!!!